The contact point Güssing
Contact Point Manager
Rainer Weber, Phone +43 59133 1200, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact point manager - deputy
Ewald Keglovits, Phone: +43 59133 1206
County Police Command
7540 Güssing, Hauptstraße 14
7 departments, of which 2 border inspection posts
District Güssing has an estimated population of 25.906 (as of 01.01.2018)
Places of interest
Güssing castle ruin, Heiligenbrunn cellar quarter, Josef Reichl Museum in Güssing, tomb of Dr. Ladislaus Batthyany in the monastery church in Güssing
The district Güssing belongs to the southern Burgenland and borders in the north to the district Oberwart, in the south to the district Jennersdorf, in the east to Hungary (county Vasz) and in the west to Styria.
Güssing - district capital
Almost 1000 years...
The fortress on the volcanic cone in the middle of the idyll of the Stremtal valley is today a place of encounter. Festivals can be celebrated here, and not alone: hospitality is a top priority! Nature, culture and wellness tourism, there is something for everyone here! The castle is the main attraction of the district town, with the impressive exhibition "400 Years of Art", the Gothic castle chapel, the museum, the castle restaurant, and all this easily accessible with an inclined lift! Already 500 years ago Güssing was a cultural centre, the theatre always had a high value. The Burgspiele are a fixed point in the Kultursommer, which is surrounded by a high-calibre concert series. The Historical City Festival in August attracts thousands of visitors every year! Güssing is also a research centre for renewable energy. Innovation is not just a word here! Come and see for yourself!
Luising - Hagensdorf
We can also offer you a botanical rarity: First documentary mention: 1445
Burgenland came to Austria in 1921. However, Luising belonged to Hungary on the basis of the peace treaty of St. Germain. However, the population of Luising fought for the annexation to Austria. On 19 September 1922, the League of Nations met and decided that Luising would be annexed to the Republic of Austria. On 10 January 1923 Luising was taken over into the Austrian sovereign administration. Since 1971 Luising is a local administration part of the municipality Heiligenbrunn.
The meadows of Hagensdorf and Luising are home to the so rare chess flower. The two full nature reserves of Hagensdorf and Luising contain the largest chess flower deposit in Austria. The chess flower (Fritillaria meleagris) is considered threatened with extinction. It belongs to the lily family and is completely protected. The chess flower is a plant whose distinctive flower (purple-brown-violet bells with chessboard patterning and veining) is usually seen at the beginning of April. During the flowering period, the observer is presented with a wonderful natural spectacle. After approx. 2 weeks the chess flower is faded and the meadows are mowed in their natural form like once.
Heiligenbrunn - Rustic and worth experiencing
Heiligenbrunn is the home of the Uhudler, a wine reminiscent of wild berries made from old, almost disappeared grape varieties with resounding names (Ripatella, Othello, Isabella, Noah, Delaware, Concordia and Elvira). These varieties were imported from America because the native ones were destroyed by phylloxera. The cellar district of Heiligenbrunn contains 80 thatched, listed wine cellars that are still fully functional. These wine cellars are wooden block buildings, clay thrown and thatched. In the press room, the massive press rooms and oak post doors bear witness to past centuries. In addition to the Uhudler, the cellars also store the typical fine wines of our community, such as Welschriesling, Grüner Veltliner and Blaufränkisch. Their excellent bouquet will delight your palate.
A trip or hike through the vineyards and the cellar lane of Heiligenbrunn is a journey into a living past.
The wine cellars are actually not cellars, but wooden block buildings plastered with clay and whitewashed. The characteristic appearance of the cellars is mainly due to the thatched roofs. The cellars of the older type date back to the 18th and 19th centuries. Natural building materials such as wood, clay and straw were used for these, while the younger buildings are bricked and covered with clay roof tiles. The cellars usually consist of two to three rooms, the press room, the storage room and a room with a small room. Many old presses show dates from the years 1731, 1740, 1748 and so on. In 1986, the majority of the buildings were placed under a preservation order in order to preserve the wine cellars in their original form.